We’re looking for a proactive, team-oriented, and motivated Ruby Developer (m/f) to join our Smart Pension team. Our team prides itself on working hard and having fun while doing it. We believe in the power of bringing like-minded people together. You will require a rare blend of insight and technical skills, to translate problems into actionable roadmaps, backlogs, and deliver value. You will partner with a world-class engineering team, UX, and market industry experts to build a product that helps thousands of people a day save and invest money for their future.
For the last two years Smart Pension is one of the Q biggest clients. It is a rapidly-growing fintech company transforming the pensions industry for the better. They are changing the way people interact with their pensions, from their award-winning mobile app to their industry-first Amazon Alexa integration.
How does the Smart Team work?
We focus on developing the best application for our customers and don't cut costs - quality is essential to everything we do, working software that always works! Alongside our phenomenal team we use many contemporary tools such as AWS, GitHub, Circle CI, New Relic, to name a few. Our approach to code is simple, keep it clean and ensure it has good test coverage. We don't ship code just to hit a deadline. At Smart Pension you will work collaboratively with experienced developers who will review your code and you will review their code, everyone is treated equal with a PR. This approach has helped us maintain at least 96% test coverage of our application meaning we can focus on features rather than bug fixing.
What will you do?
- Develop new user facing features
- Engineer a better code base with your team
- Be part of an 8-10 person agile engineering team, part of a wider Engineering organisation
- Work on tickets assigned to you, this includes writing code and specs (tests) and checking that new code passes other test coverage - plan to spend at least 50%, preferably 70% of your time writing code
- Help evolve development standards and practices
- Review Pull Requests from other developers
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment that is continuously improvement
What skills do you need?
- Significant commercial experience with Ruby, working in a Ruby on Rails environment (as a guide multiple projects over, with 2+ years of experience)
- Deep understanding of object-orientated programming
- Desire to work with Domain Driven Design
- Love to work using TDD
- Enjoy helping other Engineers improve and become better Engineers and humans
- Understanding of relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of web design patterns
- High proficiency in English in both written and verbal form
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Most importantly, a desire to learn, grow, working with an amazing team and deliver software
What we offer?
- Flexible working hours & remote work
- Work with new technologies in a high-performance environment
- IT community involvement — Meetups, Workshops & Articles
- Internal workshops & personal development
- Educational budget
- Work-from-home allowance
- Private health insurance
- 100% paid sick leave
Our salaries are based on your experience, level of knowledge & technical interview.